Esponjado means “sponge” or “foam” in Spanish. There are quite a few variations, but this coffee one, the esponjado de café recipe, is a favorite of many.
Esponjado de Café
- 3 tbsp instant coffee good quality
- 14 oz condensed milk 1 average can
- 5 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 egg whites
- In a pot, boil the water.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tbsp of water with the coffee.
- In another bowl, combine 3 tbsp of water with the gelatin. Mix well so that the gelatin dissolves.
- Into a blender, pour the condensed milk and the coffee mixture.
- Blend for about 2 minutes. Pour the gelatin mix to it and blend for another minute.
- In a separate bowl beat the heavy cream for 3 minutes or until it becomes fluffy.
- Add the cream into the coffee mix.
- Beat the egg whites with sugar and keep beating until it becomes firm.
- Pour the egg whites into the coffee mix in batches.
- Mix well and pour onto glasses.
- Refrigerate for nearly 5 hours or so.
- Serve with grated chocolate on top.